Re: disk labels and partitions for IBM Power to boot

On Tue, Mar 1, 2011 at 8:59 AM, Adrian Zaugg <adrian.zaugg@ivt.baug.ethz.ch> wrote:
Hello

I have partitioned my boot disk in a IBM Power 740 Express with cfdisk
(msdos disk labels) to have a PReP bootpartition first and a Linux
partition behind it. The system doesn't recognize this disk as a boot
disk, although I have activated it.

Some questions do arise:
- Can I use PC disklabels on the boot disk?
Nope. Apple Partition Map only
- Is it correct to write yaboot to the PReP boot partition with no
filesystem?
Yaboot requires HFS. This is due to the limits of Open Firmware.
- Does yaboot support ext4 for the Linux partition?
It boots the kernel. You have to enable that in your kernel. You can add later and use ln -s.
- What do I have to do that IBM SMS recognizes my disk as a bootable media?
Have you tried entering the boot path?

Thank you for your help!

Regards, Adrian.