Re: Mini Mac X.Org Issue on Debian 6

On Sam, 2011-03-19 at 11:59 +0000, Lee Wilson wrote:

> I've just done a fresh install of Debian 6 on my PPC Mini Mac and for
> the life of me cannot get X up and running. The Mac is connected to my
> TV via VGA through a DVI-to-VGA adapter (no DVI on my TV) and the
> screen just keeps flicking on and off.

[...]

> The last message I see when running X with either config is "Leaving
> Restore TV" and when generating the config the errors below are shown:
>
> Bus error at address 0x481777000
> Fatal Server Error
> Caught Signal 7 (Bus Error). Server aborting

I'm not sure I understand correctly. Does this error occur every time
you try to start X, or only 'when generating the config' (what does that
mean exactly)?

Please attach the full Xorg.0.log file from when the problem occurs.

> I believe this is down to some kind of refresh rate issue (at least
> from what I've googled) so I tried to manually generate the mode lines
> for my using the following link
> http://xtiming.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/xtiming.pl but it made no
> difference regardless of what resolution I choose that my TV lists as
> supported.

The flicker might also be due to the X server continuously crashing and
getting restarted by gdm.