Re: trouble netbooting debian on xserver g4 ppc cluster node

On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 1:20 AM, Tom@gmail <tjmcavaney@gmail.com> wrote:

On 10/01/2011, at 4:38 PM, Patrick Boutet <pat.boutet@gmail.com> wrote:

So a friend and I are trying to install debian on an old G4 xserver cluster node (specs here). We are following this guide on the debian site http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/powerpc/ch04s05.html.en

Hi Patrick
I don't have any firsthand experience with netbooting Macs, but this page has some hints and example configuration files (which you probably have already seen):
http://wiki.ppckernel.org/w/Mac_Netboot

From a quick look you seem to be on the right track. Do your dhcp/tftp logs give you any hints?

Also (and i'm not sure how useful this will be) I had some problems when trying to NetBoot an old MIPS machine (an SGI Indy) using the Lenny default tftp-hpa configuration. I *think* the problem was that tftp-hpa was defaulting to IPv6 which confused my poor Indy. For me, using another tftp server solved the problem...

Good luck!

Thanks for the link, the part on "Setup the boot files" is a bit more clear and we will give it a try tomorrow. We didn't have it setup as in the wiki page so hopefully that might be the issue.

Also I'll look at the logs and see if anything is coming up.

I'll let you know how it plays out tomorrow.

Thanks again,
Patrick