From:Sebastian Andrzej Siewior
Send Date:2010-09-15 19:30:51
To:Bear
CC:debian-powerpc
Subject:Re: About the FreeScale e500 series processor

* Bear | 2010-09-15 13:37:16 [+0800]:

>And also, is there any FreeScale's processor can run debian-powerpc? thx!

The e300 core based cpus like 5200, 512x,.. can run debian-powerpc as
it. There is an overview at [0]

[0] http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/site/overview.jsp?code=POWER_ARCH_5XXX

Sebastian
From:Didier Kryn
Send Date:2010-09-15 17:03:49
To:Bear
CC:debian-powerpc

    Hi Bear.

    I have been running Debian for years on the following embedded PowerPCs:

    MPC60x (rather old)
    MPC7457
    MPC8540

    The MPC8540 has an e500 Version1 core, which is compatible with
older PowerPCs, at the condition that FP instructions are emulated in
the kernel, because it does not implement FP instructions.

    But e500v1 is now obsolete and e500v2 features a full set of
instructions which are incompatible with older cores: FP instructions
but not only, and some other instructions have been removed and are not
emulated in the kernel (at least up to 2.6.34). Hence the need for a
port to powerpc-linux-gnuspe. BTW, why not powerpcspe-linux-gnu?

    I am now running this Debian/Lenny port on MPC8548E (e500v2). Big
thanks to the people who are working on the port:
    http://wiki.debian.org/PowerPCSPEPort

    Didier