Re: [Semi-OT] using a "ppc" disk on a x86 box

On Fri, 5 Feb 2010 20:56:45 -0800
Amit Uttamchandani <amit.uttam@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 06, 2010 at 02:15:26AM +0100, ncrfgs@tin.it wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'd like to read on a x86 box a disk I used on a pegasos2 box. I'm
> > going to use the disk through a pata2usb external box.
> >
> > I tried plugging the disk in. The system detects the disk (sda) but
> > not the partitions (sda1, sda2, etc.).
> >

> Based on this, I'm assuming you are using a USB disk formatted on your
> pegasus2 machine.

I will try to clarify. When the disk was on my pegasos2 machine, the
disk was connected through the pata channel and it was "hda".

Now I took away the disk from the pegasos2 machine, I put it in an
external pata2usb box, and connected the external box to the x86
machine via usb.

It's not a USB disk by itself but, yes, it has been partitioned and
the filesystems on those partitions have been created on my pegasos2
machine.

> There is no such thing as a "ppc" disk

I used it in the subject line to make it shorter. And between double
quotes. What I meant was of course "a disk with a non DOS partition
table". Furthermore I didn't address the disk with '"ppc" disk' in the
rest of my message.

> there are just specific filesystems.

The partition type matters as well (DOS, MAC, AMIGA, etc.).

> You probably don't have the specific support for the filesystem on
> your machine.

That alone wouldn't explain why the system doesn't create the "sda1",
"sda2", "sda3", etc. block files under /dev.

For instance: let's say you have a disk ("sda") with a MSDOS partition
type and several filesystems on it. One of the filesystems is a HFS+ one
and it's on "sda10".

1) Even if you didn't have the HFS+ support enabled in your kernel the
system would still create the "sda10" block file under /dev. You
wouldn't be able to mount it.

2) And if you had the HFS+ support enabled in your kernel but you
didn't have the HFS+ specific packages installed on your system then
you wouldn't be able to create or alter HFS+ filesystems but the
system would still create the "sda10" block file under /dev.

> Do you know what filesystem was used on that disk? Once
> you find out you can then install the specific packages and you
> should be able to access the partitions on the disk.

On the disk I used on my pegasos2 machine there was at least one ext3
filesystem.

> Also if you could post the kernel message output that would give us
> some clues.

===== # dmesg | tail -n 19 =====
usb 1-1.4: USB disconnect, address 26
usb 1-1.4: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 27
usb 1-1.4: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
usb-storage: device found at 27
usb-storage: waiting for device to settle before scanning
scsi 180:0:0:0: Direct-Access     IC35L060 AVV207-0         0000 PQ: 0 ANSI: 0
sd 180:0:0:0: [sda] 120103200 512-byte hardware sectors (61493 MB)
sd 180:0:0:0: [sda] Mode Sense: 27 00 00 00
sd 180:0:0:0: [sda] Assuming drive cache: write through
sd 180:0:0:0: [sda] 120103200 512-byte hardware sectors (61493 MB)
sd 180:0:0:0: [sda] Write Protect is off
sd 180:0:0:0: [sda] Mode Sense: 27 00 00 00
sd 180:0:0:0: [sda] Assuming drive cache: write through
 sda: unknown partition table
sd 180:0:0:0: [sda] Attached SCSI disk
sd 180:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg0 type 0
usb-storage: device scan complete

===== # cat /proc/config.gz | gunzip | grep PARTITION =====
CONFIG_PARTITION_ADVANCED=y
# CONFIG_ACORN_PARTITION is not set
# CONFIG_OSF_PARTITION is not set
# CONFIG_AMIGA_PARTITION is not set
# CONFIG_ATARI_PARTITION is not set
CONFIG_MAC_PARTITION=y
CONFIG_MSDOS_PARTITION=y
# CONFIG_MINIX_SUBPARTITION is not set
# CONFIG_SOLARIS_X86_PARTITION is not set
CONFIG_LDM_PARTITION=y
# CONFIG_SGI_PARTITION is not set
# CONFIG_ULTRIX_PARTITION is not set
# CONFIG_SUN_PARTITION is not set
# CONFIG_KARMA_PARTITION is not set
# CONFIG_EFI_PARTITION is not set
# CONFIG_SYSV68_PARTITION is not set

===== # cat /proc/config.gz | gunzip | grep BSD_DISKLABEL =====
# CONFIG_BSD_DISKLABEL is not set

Well, I apologize. Myaybe this is not the right ML to ask to. I just
thought that, as ppc users, some of you might have experienced the same
issue as well.

Regards.

/Fergus
--
Value your freedom, or you will lose it, teaches history.
``Don't bother us with politics,'' respond those who don't

 -- Richard M. Stallman
    http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/linux-gnu-freedom.html