Re: debian-powerpc support

On Sat, Aug 28, 2010 at 07:28:01AM -0700, Gary Driggs wrote:
> On Aug 28, 2010, at 5:31 AM, Bastian Blank wrote:
> > And NetBSD actually supports less cpu architectures then Linux.
> That's never been true. NetBSD currently supports 15 different CPU types; http://netbsd.org/ports

Well, if you count it that way, then Linux supports at least 26. If you
count it the Linux way, then only eleven remains compared to 22 for
Linux.

> > No, most embedded devices use ARM or MIPS cpus in the meantime.
> I doubt its possible to quantify which architecture is used most often for embedded systems but Cisco is one of many licensees that have built a wide variety of devices based on POWER CPUs. q.v. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PowerPC#Licenses and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_POWER

All the embedded Apple products (iPhone, iPad) are ARM based. Most of
the embedded routers (Linksys, ...) are MIPS (Broadcom, SOC) based. I
would not call the classic Cisco products embedded.

Bastian

--
Only a fool fights in a burning house.
		-- Kank the Klingon, "Day of the Dove", stardate unknown