Re: Which module should one use for sound on pmacs? (was: Re: debian-testing-powerpc-xfce+lxde, 7/26/10)

At Thu, 29 Jul 2010 20:37:02 +0200,
Johannes Berg wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > > There's no auto-loading built into snd-powermac, and the way I see it
> > > there's no chance there ever will be since nobody even cared years ago
> > > when I worked on this stuff.
> >
> > Nice. BTW, would writing an auto-loading part be hard for a kernel-illiterate?
>
> snd-powermac is pretty strange, so yeah, I think it would be :-)

Indeed.  It's an ancient piece of legacy code.  RIP.

> > > I suppose one way would be to load snd-powermac only when snd-aoa
> > > didn't auto-load?
> >
> > Right. The way that things are currently is that snd-aoa is "force fed"
> > and causes some machines to not have any kind of sound.
>
> Why would snd-aoa ever be "force fed"? It can and will load
> automatically on all machines it supports. Am I missing something?

If anything is force-fed, it can be snd-powermac, but with some modprobe
magic to load snd-aoa beforehand...

Takashi