Re: Which module should one use for sound on pmacs? (was: Re: debian-testing-powerpc-xfce+lxde, 7/26/10)

Hi all,

> > We should distribute what the Linux Kernel provides!
>
> Right. I am CC'ing some people that can potentially have answers to this
> question. If you have any comments, it would be nice to get this sorted
> out for the distributions. :-)
>
> From a very quick look at the source code of snd-aoa, it seems that the
> chips supported are onyx, tas and toonie.
>
> How should the distribution side of this be handled (say, with the
> automatic loading of the proper module) with machines that use, say,
> tumbler?

The old way was to just load snd-powermac on Macs, and then have it do
nothing. That's wasteful in a sense, but it doesn't hurt. There's no
auto-loading built into snd-powermac, and the way I see it there's no
chance there ever will be since nobody even cared years ago when I
worked on this stuff.

> > > Last I tried snd-aoa didn't work. (iBook G4 1,2 GHz) I have to use
> > > snd-powermac to get the sound working. I'm curious as well why it is
> > > so.
> >
> > snd-aoa works great here on a PowerBook5,8 ;-)
>
> OK, fine that it works for you. :-) It would be nice if it worked for
> many others, though. :-) What about snd-powermac, OTOH?

snd-powermac will not work on machines where snd-aoa works, they're
mutually exclusive but some older machines need snd-powermac, which,
unfortunately, cannot load automatically.

I suppose one way would be to load snd-powermac only when snd-aoa didn't
auto-load?

johannes