Re: installing on PPC Mac Mini without any OS installed

On Jul 19, 2010, at 1:13 PM, Gary wrote:

The problem occurs when letting the partitioner use the whole disk
with guided partitioning. Honestly, though, the last time I tried to
install testing (this weekend) I gave up out of frustration and used
the stable install disc since its advanced options let me choose from
stable, testing, or unstable. The drawback, however, is that ext4
isn't included.

-Gary

Gary,

My testing indicates that yaboot does not support ext4. The work around is to have a separate partition formatted with the ext2 filesystem for your /boot directory (distinct from the hfs "NewWorld bootblock" partition -- see previous discussion in this thread).

I've tried that, but had inconclusive results. It was a while ago and I don't remember the details. Maybe if you decide to try it you could make a detailed report on how it works... or doesn't?

Of course, another work around would be to use grub2. I intend to try that sometime soon and I'll make a full report when I'm finished.

Enjoy!

Rick

PS: I'll also see if I can confirm your problem with whole-disk guided partitioning, and report on that too. Have you considered filing a bug report?