Re: fan management on G5

On 1/07/10 8:54 AM, Gary wrote:
Is anyone using ppc64 Debian on an Apple Power Mac G5 have issues with
their fans? Mine will run quietly for some time after bootup but after
an indeterminate amount of time the fans will turn on full blast until
I reboot again. I know that some of these systems used to run pretty
hot but I don't recall it being this noisy with OS X -- especially as
it's mostly idle. Mine is either the PCI or PCI-X model of the
PowerMac7,3 (dual 2.0 GHz procs).

Hi Gary - I've got a G5 iMac (Rev A) - I'm running squeeze and usually get the latest updates every couple of weeks. The fan control has always been fine, but with recent updates I've seen the same erratic behavior you describe. I haven't had time to check it out properly, but I'm a bit worried the machine will overheat if I run Debian too long (mostly I run OSX).

Cheers,  Mike.

          Mike Hore        mike_hore@aapt.net.au