Re: Segmentation fault at start-up

Hi again,
On Fri, May 28, 2010 at 06:08:07PM +0530, Sujit K M wrote:
> Are you using Logical Volume. I have hit this problem when ever you
> set up logical volume on Fedora with a custom kernel, I mean compiling
> the kernel from scratch. I always avoid an Logical Volume in my
> installations, Which are basically meant for Home Use.

> But on the positive side even if the linux partition is an Logical
> Volume, If you Reinstall the Linux Distro(In My Case Ubuntu), I donot
> have any problem. I think you will have to find a way to find the near
> match Kernel module and install that.

Thank you for your message. I indeed use LVM. I have more information
now. I switched off the "quiet" boot parameter to have a better
understanding on "when" the segmentation fault occured.

It occured after the message "device-mapper ...ioctl..." In fact,
issuing commands like vgchange from busybox resulted also in a segfault.

There was recently an upgrade of lvm2 (->2.02.64-1) and dmsetup,
libdevmapper1.02.1 (->2:1.02.47-1) and I think this is the culprit.

I downgraded to the squeeze versions (2.02.62 for lvm2 2:1.02.45-1 for
the other two) and I managed to boot properly.

I will see if I can reproduce the bug...