Re: Auto-booting USB stick in OF

Hi Risto,

Le mercredi 28 avril 2010 à 09:00 -0300, Gunther Furtado a écrit :
> 2010/4/28 Risto Suominen <risto.suominen@gmail.com>:
> > 2010/4/28, Gunther Furtado <gunfurtado@gmail.com>:
> >>
> >> have you tried to boot from a MacOS Classic cd holding down "C" as it
> >> chimes with(out) an usb stick present?
> >>
> > I'm pretty sure I have. Looks like it hangs before it comes so far, I
> > cannot even get into Open Firmware.
> >

> just a wild guess: what would happen if you try to boot form a macos
> classic cd without any HD attached? Would it be possible to hot plug
> the HD if it boots from the cd?
>
> > The reaction, when powering up by holding the power button until a
> > beep, seems healthy: flashing the led, then after a few seconds a
> > chime, when no Firmware image is available on the disk. This makes me
> > think that a reflashing could take place, if a correctly formatted and
> > named Firmaware image was present on the hard disk.

I don't want to deter you from changing the disk and such, by if you
don't even get to an Open Firmware prompt, you won't be able to boot
from anything connected to your Mac. The OF is what will bootstrap the
bootloader stored on some media ; if it doesn't come up, you won't be
able to boot from anything. Something important must be broken ...

Good luck trying to fix your problem, though.

Regards,
benjamin