Re: debian on imac G4?

Am Donnerstag, 18. Februar 2010 01:06:49 schrieb williamd:
> > Xorg -config /root/xorg.conf.new
>
> I guess it doesn't work. The second choice boots me into a screen of
> very small black and white squares. Otherwise, i can only see an X
> mouse cursor, which does move with the mouse.

That means the X server has started correctly, as the very small black and
white squares are the default background. Because you are running X in the
configuration mode, this is why it uses the default. Another sign that this
was successful is that the mouse works.

Now:
> > If that works, then try:
> >
> > mv /root/xorg.conf.new /etc/X11/xorg.conf
> > reboot

Note that there used to be two methods to kill the X server if you do not want
to reset or repower:

a) there was a key combinations, something like Control - Alt - Backspace,
might be disabled or hard to hit on PowerPC machines.
b) You can switch to a console and then kill the Xorg process.
     Alt - F1 usually gets you to the first console, Alt -F2 to the second,
and Alt -F7 usually is the X server output. You might need Shift- Alt-F1 or
Fn-Shift-Alt-F1 or something like this.

Best,
Bernhard