Re: debian on imac G4?

On 2/16/10 5:07 AM, williamd wrote:
I am trying to install Debian onto my G4 imac 1ghz. All goes well until
the point it reboots and tries to go into the gui. It says do i want to
look at the log? and try to correct the problem, but at this screen it
freezes so that i am unable to choose yes or no. Any suggestions on what
i might do differently during install to avoid this problem? Many thanks!

That sounds like the usual Xorg problem. When you boot, at the second stage boot (I think it says "type help..." hit tab type in whatever term is marked with an asterisk (it may be just "Linux") followed by a space followed by a "1". This should force it to boot to a shell prompt.

Try the following commands:

Xorg -configure
Xorg -config /root/xorg.conf.new

If that works, then try:

mv /root/xorg.conf.new /etc/X11/xorg.conf
reboot

AGH, I've been doing this too much if I can recall all that from memory!