Fw: Running Debian Lenny on PowerMac G5

On Wed, 17 Feb 2010 10:12:26 +0100
Michel Dänzer <daenzer@debian.org> wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-02-17 at 01:25 +0100, Tiresia Giuno wrote:
> >
> > 1. suspend/hibernate does not work really: I get after a while just
> > a locked desktop. I remember well, I read somewhere that
> > suspend/hibernate does not work on powerpc. Is it true? I think it
> > works on PowerPC Laptop, why not on Desktop?
>
> For  sleep (suspend to RAM), IIRC simply because noone's implemented
> the PMU/SMU support necessary for it. Not sure what the issue is for
> hibernation.
>
> The linuxppc-dev mailing list might be better for finding out more
> about this.
>

> > 2. Restart works ok, but shutdown does not work properly (from gnome
> > or from terminal). The last messages I get are:
> > [1990.045234] Disabling non-boot CPUs
> > [1990.053558] Cannot set affinity for irq 16
> > I must then press the power button. If I wait longer, the fans
> > start to be quite loud (again I had this problem also with another
> > similar PowerMac G5)
>
> I think this is a kernel bug which is fixed in newer kernels.
>

> > 3. Last problem: I can watch .avi files, but doesn't matter which
> > player I do use, it happens that the movie stops, I can't access my
> > desktop anymore, but the audio is still on... I had a look on
> > various logs, but I did not find anything interesting
>
> Sounds like a GPU lockup, which video card / X driver are you using?

Thanks a lot for your answer!

Lenny is running with the kernel 2.6.26-2-powerpc64

My video card is an ATI Radeon 9600XT 128 MB (DVI monitor) correctly
identified by X so that I did not need to edit my xorg.conf
The section "Device" has the Option 'UseFBDev" set as "true".
Reading the Xorg.0.log it shows that X loads the "radeon" module.

regards
tiresia