Re: What is pbbuttonsd used for nowadays?

>> - backlight dimming is handled by gnome
>> - "function" keys are very well handled by xorg & gnome
>> - suspend to ram is handled by gnome-power-manager
>> What else do you need ?
> Not everyone's using Gnome.

I'm not arguing for/against pbbuttonsd.  I just see that a lot of what
it provides is already provided in a machine-agnostic way by other parts
of the system (be it Gnome/KDE or more core parts of the system).

I think it would be good if someone who understands these issues could
complete the pbbuttonsd webpage&documentation describing how it differs
and/or interacts with other programs providing
overlapping functionality.

E.g. is pbbuttonsd's cpu throttling similar to what cpufreqd/powernowd
do or does it work differently?  What about the comparison with the
kernel's "ondemand" scaling governor (tho this doesn't work on my G4, so
it's maybe not a relevant question)?  What happens if two of them are
installed at the same time?

How does pbbuttonsd's hard-disk power save compare to the usual
laptop-mode thingy?

For someone like myself who uses Debian on a variety of platforms, it'd
help me figure out how best to adapt my generic Debian config.

        Stefan