Re: software CPU throttling on powerpc

On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 11:53:00PM +0100, José JORGE wrote:
> A Friday 23 January 2009 20:52:37, Hans Ekbrand escreveu:
> > I have an imac G3, which I want to use for a computing intensive task.
> > I think this computer has a problem with overheating, because when it
> > has been working for approximately 10 hours, it hangs.
> >
> If it is a heating problem, it may have dust.
> To make what you want, I'd do a cron job that suspends the computing for 20
> minutes every 9 hours, to see if it helps. But I've never seen a machine that
> just overheats after 10 hours of 100% CPU.

It might also be a problem with the nic (if nics can overheat),
because the computing task involes a lot of network traffic and I do
see transmitting errors.

The computing task (building a debian-live CD-image in a directory
that is accessed via NFS over SSH) dynamically creates new processes,
so it's not easy to know which process should be paused with

kill -STOP

Anyway, writing a bash script for that is much easier for me than
writing a kernel module.

Tanks everybody for you answers!

--
Hans Ekbrand (http://sociologi.cjb.net) <hans@sociologi.cjb.net>