software CPU throttling on powerpc

I have an imac G3, which I want to use for a computing intensive task.
I think this computer has a problem with overheating, because when it
has been working for approximately 10 hours, it hangs.

What I would like is to enforce some idle cycles which would prevent
the CPU from overheating.

On the ix86 processors, there is an thing called ACPI that has a
function for this at /proc/acpi/processor/CPU0/throttling

I *think* this is completely done in software (in the kernel, requires
no hardware-support). If that is the case, then it should be possible
to do the same on the powerpc plattform, but I haven't found anything
like that.

Hardware details, if relevant.

cpu		: 740/750
temperature 	: 31-33 C (uncalibrated)