xorg: Macintosh Blue&White G3 w/ ATI 3D Rage Pro - monitor complains "out of range"

Package: xorg
Version: 1:7.3+18
Severity: important

I recently installed Lenny on a Mac Blue&White with an ATI 3D Rage Pro video card.

When X starts up the monitor displays a message "out of range" indicating that the computer is feeding it stuff it can't handle. (This message is coming from the monitor, itself -- not the X software). The image on the monitor shimmers and
jumps and looks like snow in a high wind.

I've tried several tweeks to the xorg.conf that have worked on other machines with similar problems. None of them seem to help. I'm attaching the most
recent non-working xorg.conf.  I'm also attaching the Xorg.0.log.

lspci -v says this about the video card:

01:02.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc 3D Rage Pro (rev 5c) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
        Subsystem: ATI Technologies Inc Device 0000
        Flags: bus master, stepping, medium devsel, latency 16, IRQ 23
        Memory at 81000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=16M]
        I/O ports at 1400 [disabled] [size=256]
        Memory at 80881000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
        Expansion ROM at 80000000 [disabled] [size=128K]

Any suggestoions?

Rick

log and conf files are available at http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/ bugreport.cgi?bug=512273