Re: Proper partitioning

Linux on a powerpc machine needs no partitions above and beyond what it needs on the Intel platform you're used to.

If however, your powerpc machine is a New World Apple (almost anything made since 1999) then the Apple platform needs two partitions more.  Fortunately, Debian sets this up for you automatically (and correctly) when the partitioner is run during installation.  They appear as the first two partitions on the disk; you don't even have to ask for them.

It is my practice to leave the first two partitions untouched.  The first is the Apple bit-map of disk use.  The second is the Open Firmware equivalent of the master boot record.  The third one I designate as "/".

After that, I assign separate partitions as /usr, /var, /tmp, /home, and swap.  This is the classic posix way of doing things.  The installer offers you other options on how to do this.

If you're not yet prepared to set up your own partitioning scheme, the defaults the installer offers will work just fine.

All my best,  - Chris Reich; Rochester, New York
twittername: chrisreich