debian lenny installation on an ibook g4 keeps freezing

Hello all,

I'm installing debian lenny on an ibook g4 800mhz 360+mb ram and the installation process keeps freezing during various points of the installation during various installation attempts. Most commonly during the partintioning or during the installation  of the base system. The farthest I've gotten in the installation of the base system is 98% then it froze. I am not sure what the problem here is. It seems that the longer period of time that the machine is off, the farther it can go through with the installation.

I got the ibook from a friend with no hard drive. I put a 160gb seagate hard drive in, pata. I have tried installing ubuntu, opensuse, and now debian. Debian is the only installer that has gotten this far without any other problems.

Any help would be appreciated. I am new to linux, though I strongly support the concept of community run open source software development and the free distribution of information.

Thank You,

tomislav