mplayer as a stream server [was: Re: VLC Illegal Instruction]

Hi all

I start a new thread as the topic on the original one is becoming off-topic:

On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 11:27:05AM +0100, Rafal Czlonka wrote:
> Wolfgang Pfeiffer wrote:
> > > AFAIK, mplayer cannot stream audio and video like vlc does. That is why I use it.
> >
> > Not quite sure, Gunter, what exactly you mean with "stream audio and video",
> > but I think this was a good one .... :)
>
> Stream, not merely play streams[0]
>
> [0]http://www.videolan.org/vlc/streaming.html

Thanks for that.

Looks like the documentation at least, for vlc, in the regard as
mentioned, is better than for mplayer. But there actually seems to be
a stream server in the mplayer sources. Excerpt from

./mplayer-checkout-2009-04-29/TOOLS/README:

netstream - access remote streams
---------------------------------

NOTE: netstream does not link at the moment - help welcome.

netstream allows you to access most MPlayer stream types from a remote host.
The main purpose of this feature is to make it possible to directly use the
CD or DVD drive of another computer on the network (provided you have the
required bandwidth). On the downside some stream types (currently TV and MF)
are not usable remotely because they are implemented at the demuxer level.

Be aware that currently the server is not secure at all.

Compile the server by running 'make netstream' and then copy the netstream
binary to the right place on your system (usually /usr/local/bin on Unix).
Start the netstream server on the computer you intend to access remotely.
There are no command line arguments.

Play the second track of a VCD on the server with:

  mplayer -cache 5000 mpst://servername/vcd://2

Access files on this server with:

  mplayer -cache 5000 mpst://servername//usr/local/movies/lol.avi

Note that paths which do not start with a / will be interpreted as relative to
the directory where the server is running. The '-cache' option is not needed
but highly recommended.

source:
http://www.mplayerhq.hu/MPlayer/releases/mplayer-checkout-snapshot.tar.bz2

I haven't used this part of mplayer until now, so I don't know anything
about its usability ...

But I'd be curious if it works, and how good - so be free to let me know
if you know more ...

Best Regards
Wolfgang

--