Re: xrandr and dvi output

Hi, Rhonda.

On Sep 11 2008, Gerfried Fuchs wrote:
> Sounds pretty much like my problem indeed, even though I don't know
> anything about tmds chips or what OF stands for.

In the context of powerpcs, OF usually stands for OpenFirmware. A
simplified view of it is that it provides the operating system with a
tree of nodes, with each node representing a device of your system.

In the case of some other architectures that don't provide this tree,
the kernel has to be especially compiled with a blob that describes the
abilities of the hardware. This blob is compiled from a source from the
kernel tree via a tool called dtc, which stands for
"device-tree-compiler".

This tree is then "unpacked" by the kernel and used in the /proc
filesystem, in a very similar way that the Open Firmware tree is
present in the /proc filesystem.

If you need further information, I think that I can teach you as much as
I know. :-)

Regards, Rogério Brito.