Re: xrandr and dvi output

On Mon, Aug 25 2008, at 18:44 +0200, Gerfried Fuchs wrote:
> 	Hi!
>
>  I recently got an external monitor that has DVI input. Was quite nice,
> before I only had an VGA screen. Though, the VGA screen worked
> perfectly: I was able to enable the external monitor at any time with
> xrandr, enabling it, disabling it, whatever.
>
>  With the DVI screen I now have the problem that xrandr is able to
> detect it, but not really enable it. Well, it /claims/ that it enables
> it, growing the screen layout to the appropriate size, but it doesn't
> display anything. It only works after a fresh reboot when the external
> monitor was plugged. After a suspend of the system and awaking it again
> the external monitor isn't possible to get any output anymore.

http://lists.x.org/archives/xorg-driver-ati/2008-April/005021.html

Quoting Alex Deucher:
"Many powerbooks use an external tmds chip to provide duallink on the
dvi port.  Not all of these tmds chips are currently supported as I'm
not sure which ones are used in which powerbooks.  It will work if you
boot up the laptop with the DVI port connected since OF will init the
tmds chip."

I'd recommend to pull and compile the latest sources for the
ati/radeon drivers, just in case something has changed since Alex
Deucher wrote that. Tho' I'm not sure whether these sources will be
much fresher than what is in the experimental Debian branch.

Or getting fresh xrandr?

Notes on hand-rolling ati/radeon drivers, if needed:
http://wiki.x.org/wiki/RadeonTVbuildHowto
http://www.botchco.com/agd5f/?page_id=2
http://heelsbroke.blogspot.com/2007/12/screen-cloning-on-linux-xrandr12-and.html

Good luck!