Re: G3 Beige Tower install help

On Mon, Sep 08, 2008 at 09:29:21AM +0300, risto.suominen@gmail.com wrote:
> 2008/9/7, Stephen Allen <sda2@sdf.lonestar.org>:
> >
> > OK kept the MacOS partition(s). There are 7 of em put there by the MacOS 9
> > disk utility (6 small ones).
> >
> In Apple's partitioning, the 1st partition contains the partition map,
> then there are typically 5 driver partitions used by Mac OS, and then
> the actual Mac OS partition. You said in the beginning that you
> created the Linux partitions as well with Apple's Disk Utility? Did
> you change that part during Debian installation process? Or was it
> usable for Debian as such?

The Debian Installer Partitioner complained that the appropriate flags weren't set (after using the MacOS
disk utility to set the Linux partitions. I couldn't get any iteration of this to boot [using MacOS disk
utility to format Linux partitions]) so I allowed the Debian Installer to remove the Linux partitions,
(leaving everything but the MacOS partitions as "free"). I then let the installer use the remaining free
space to create the necessary Linux partitions automatically. So no, it didn't appear to be usable for
Debian as such.

> > I have one disk and it was labeled hdb when partitioner. So that would be
> > 'mount -t hfs (It's hfs)/dev/hdb7 (MacOS was installed on the 7th
> > partition).
> >
> I'm surprised that it is not hda. Perhaps it is jumpered as slave? It
> would more natural to jumper it as master. I remember that some older
> G3s had problems with slave drives, at least together with a master.

It's been a long time since I ever used this in production. I recall that there had been a scsi hard drive
in this box, and I had removed the stock IDE hard drive shortly after purchasing. When I pulled this out
of storage in my basement several weeks ago, there wasn't any hard drive in it, so I put in a spare 13GB
IDE drive I had. I guess I plugged it in the wrong socket on the motherboard; there are 2 IDE data
sockets on the motherboard. Make sense ? The other probably is the hda data socket. I don't think the
jumpers were changed.

> > There didn't appear to be an 'initrd.gz' but there was an 'initrd'. Same
> > thing right ? On /mnt I didn't have a directory 'System Folder', however
> > mount didn't through any complaints when mounting hdb7, so I assume that
> > was OK.
> >
> > Unfortunately it didn't boot. I'm getting close though. Any ideas ?
> >
> There may be an empty directory called initrd on the root level of
> target. The initrd.gz (and vmlinux) should be in boot subdirectory.
> You did go through installing the kernel package? This may be a
> separate step in the installer.
>
> If you didn't see the 'System Folder' then the mounting was not OK.
> The explanation can be that Mac OS has put an HFS wrapper around the
> HFS+ file system. So try with 'mount -t hfsplus ...' instead.

OK Risto, will try this. Thanks again for your time.

--
Regards,
S.D.Allen - Toronto