Re: [OT] Disabling hardware speculation support in GCC flags

On Fri, Dec 05, 2008 at 12:24:50PM -0800, Amit Uttamchandani wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
> I'm learning the PPC architecture and I have a PowerBook G4 (7410)
> 500MHz. Looking at the datasheet for the processor, it has support for
> hardware speculation which allows out-of-order execution.
>
> I wanted to test program run times by compiling using gcc with flags
> that enable and then disable support for this hardware speculation
> feature. This is just to see the difference between program run times.
>
> Any ideas which flags/options I should be using in gcc?

I'm not sure that there really is a flag to enable or disable that
particular specific feature.

What you could do, I guess, is to use -mcpu=common (or any of the other
similar options, see 'info gcc') to select a processor that does not
support hardware speculation; but that will of course also disable other
things, and make it harder to compare timings.

  -- #debian-devel, Freenode, 2004-09-22