Re: Sungem Driver doesn't work

Hi Andrea

On Sat, Oct 04, 2008 at 01:34:35PM +0200, Andrea Di Pasquale wrote:
> Hi guys!
> I'm using debian lenny on ibook PPC G3 800 Mhz with ram 256 MB (ver. 2002).
> I wanna to use linux-image-2.6.26-1-powerpc (32 bit) kernel, but sungem driver
> works very bad. It's works only in my Local area network, insted it doesn't
> works out of lan.

What do you exactly mean with this? If the LAN is really work, it's highly unprobably
that your network card or the kernel  is at fault. It's much more likely that the problem is
caused by a configuration error either on your computer or somewhere in the LAN.

> My card is:
>
> 0002:20:0f.0 Ethernet controller: Apple Computer Inc. UniNorth/Pangea GMAC (Sun
> GEM)
>
> I tested with APT reporitories, HTTP, FTP and i think that sungem iface loses
> packets and it blocks the connections.

How did you come to this conclusion? Is there any sign of pacet loss on your interface?

> It doens't works with last kernel release (2.6.26-5), i think that it's a kernel
> bug. However, with linux-image-2.6.18-6-powerpc (etch) sungem interface works
> very well.

Sungem is working very well with the latest kernel for me.

> Can you help me?

With the information you give it's not really easy to help you.

Please follow one of the network troubleshooting howtos on the net. For example:
http://www.linuxhomenetworking.com/wiki/index.php/Quick_HOWTO_:_Ch04_:_Simple_Network_Troubleshooting

If you can provide more detailed information about what's working and what's not
it will be much easier to help you.

Gaudenz

--
Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter.