Tool for detecting partition superblocks needed

Hi All

I can't e2fsck my root partition any more - looks seriously like that
partition went belly up on me. e2fsck tells me something like the
superblock could not be read ...

The Debian install CD (Etch) does not have dumpe2fs - which normally
should yield information of the partition backup superblocks. Also the
CD does not seem to offer the option of installing missing
tools/packages to RAM ..

Any ideas how to see or recover the superblocks? Tools on the Etch CD
that might help for that?

Affected machine is a Powerbook5,8

Best Regards
Wolfgang