Re: Tool for detecting partition superblocks needed

Hi all,

On   3 Oct, this message from Benjamin Cama echoed through cyberspace:
> But what worries me most is the Load_Cycle_Count value : 2898441 is
> far too high for a disk, but may look real, as your disk as been
> spinning for quite some time (10000+ hours). This roughly corresponds
> to a load/unload every 15s

I can totally confirm Benjamin's analysis.

I also have lost a disk (2.5" Seagate Momentus 5400.2) to the
load/unload problem. It was used in a Mac Mini running as a server (thus
powered on 24x7).

As said, the solution to this is setting the power management
configuration via hdparm's -B option.

There are a few options:

- laptop-mode-tools
- /etc/default/hdparm
- pbbuttonsd

All of them include ways to set hdparm options.

Cheers

michel

L-1710 Luxembourg              |
email   mlan@cpu.lu            |