Re: Help supporting Debian on a Kurobox

On Aug 22 2008, Sven Luther wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 22, 2008 at 10:05:33AM -0300, Rogério Brito wrote:
> > On Aug 22 2008, Sven Luther wrote:
> > > Can you get access to the dmesg output of this board, or otherwise can
> > > tell us what cpu is used inside ?
> >
> > Sure, the dmesg is attached here.
>
> Damn, i can't find easily the CPU model, can you give /proc/cpuinfo
> output ? I think it is a 82xx or so, not sure.

Here is the output:

cpu	      : 82xx
revision      : 16.20 (pvr 8081 1014)
bogomips      : 129.84
vendor	      : Motorola SPS
machine	      : Sandpoint
processor     : PVID: 0x80811014, vendor: Motorola

> > Yes, it seems to be able to boot with uboot, yes. But it needs some
>
> Can you access to the uboot prompt ?

No, I can't (or I don't know). It only has an ethernet and an USB port.
Nothing else.

> > packages specific to the kurobox (and other Linkstation boxes), like
> > the heartbeat daemon that I mentioned on the earlier message. Some init
> > scripts also seem to be needed.
>
> Ok, but that is *AFTER* you have booted the kernel, right ? So, the
> first order of things is to add generation fo a uboot uImage out of the
> debian klernel, and maybe you need to enable

Right, but the current heartbeat daemon seems to be independent of the
kernel. Knowing how to generate a uboot image would help, though. Wouldn't
it be created in a usual way? Does it need extra steps?

> I had some early work for the MPC8349 some time back, which is i believe
> the successor cpu of the one used in the kurobox, but it has been some
> time since i looked at this.

Any information that you can supply would be helpful.

Regards, Rogério Brito.