Re: What is your opinion?

In this webpage have information about the diferent PowerMac machines, http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=58418, the PowerMac also have AGP graphics...

I want update the machine, one person, only one person in my country, work with old Mac machines... only one... your name is John Tomas, he import used peripherals, and he say to me, who have a processor for this machines, but with another name... someone know this processors???

2008/7/19 Esteban Monge <esteban.francisco@gmail.com>:
How I contribute with the Quality Assurance of Lenny in my Computer??? I a wonderful idea... always i want help with Debian...

2008/7/19 Rogério Brito <rbrito@ime.usp.br>:

On Jul 15 2008, Esteban Monge wrote:
> Great surprise, i have also a AGP graphics!!!

AFAIK, many Apple G4 machines (especially those more recent) have AGP
graphics. Even the notebooks have AGP graphics.

> I dont use KDE, dont like GNOME, i love Enlightenment... I have
> downloaded all themes and backgrounds, epplets and another thinks for
> it.

I see no problems using such a machine as a Desktop, since it has
altivec and this would be a good fit for playing multimedia.

> I compiled the last time, and use actually, Mplayer... but i found in
> internet the repository debian-multimedia and make a apt-mirror.

Mirror only the sources directory. You are already getting the binaries
via apt-get/aptitude. This greediness is what drives Marillat's
bandwidth sky-hight. Please, don't do that.

> I dont have Internet connection, i think in this case Etch dont have
> security problem...

Local security holes are always a concern, unless you are the only user
and are careful.

> Thanks for you experience, i going to install Etch in my machine!!!

Yes, installing etch is a good thing. Installing lenny is even better if
you want latter software and learn more about Debian (and also
contribute as a Quality Assurance person for the next release,
especially for a platform deprived of people testing it---all arches
unless i386 and amd64 lack people testing it).

Regards, Rogério Brito.

P.S.: Shorten your signature and avoid top-posting please.

http://nuevaeracr.blogspot.com
Tec. Esteban Monge Marín
Tel: (506) 8367-2009

"No habrá manera de desarrollarnos y salir de
la pobreza mientras los pocos negocios
grandes de nuestro medio se entreguen a las
economías foráneas y nosotros nos
quedemos con solo negocios de pobre,
mientras en vez de ser propietarios de nuestro
propio país nos convirtamos en un ejército de
empleados del exterior"
José Figueres Ferrer, 1952.