Re: Port maintainers.

On Jul 20 2008, Wartan Hachaturow wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 20, 2008 at 1:45 AM, Gerfried Fuchs <rhonda@deb.at> wrote:
> >  Well, filling the informations in the linked page surely helps. It is
> > though a bit hard to gather these informations - the requalification
> > page from last year didn't contain some of the informations that are
> > requested this time, and with some people it's hard to receive much
> > feedback, unfortunately.
>
> Hmm. I thought there were more technically challenging tasks to be
> done ;)

Indeed, caring about the problems about porting some piece of software
to another arch may involve a lot of intermediation with upstream.

> Since I am currently porting another distribution to Cell as my daily
> job, I've got a whole bunch of ppc64 hardware lying around, and most
> of it runs Debian, since the "other distro" exists as of now only as a
> chroot.

It is quite a pity that such hardware is extremely hard to get here. In
fact, anything that is not Microsoft or that is not *86 is almost
impossible to get.

As I understand it, Apple (when they had the PowerPC line) never cared
about our market here in Brazil and when I bought my iBook G3, I could
have, if I had taken a trip to, say, the US, bought the top of the line
PowerBook, with lots of built to order options. I spent more or less 3
times the price of my iBook, if not more. Of course, I would have
problems with customs if I did what I just mentioned (having to pay
taxes for importing something).

Of course, "what a poor country" (ahem!) could offer them in terms of
sales? :-(

By suggestion of Rhonda, I registered myself as a potential
maintainer/helper of the PowerPC port, but as I can't even get wireless
working after a lot of blood, sweat and tears with an USB dongle that
has sources included in the upstream Linux kernel, I'm prevented from
working in many places and didn't include my name there.

Oh, sure, the form factor of my iBook is something that I like. And I
would like to continue working on PowerPC, as a different platform is
way cool and trying to parallelize programs is a really nice thing. But,
it seems that I won't be able to, say, get a nice environment on ppc too
soon. :-(

Regards, Rogério Brito.