Re: Very weird results with X.org and fresh sid install

On Fri, 30 May 2008 19:43:08 -0300
Rogério Brito <rbrito@ime.usp.br> wrote:

> Hi there. Here is an old-timer coming back to the list. :-)
>
> Since Apple has no love anymore for people with G3 hardware, I figured
> out that the way to go is to dump MacOS X. I have one major issue before
> I do that (actually, two, but the other one may have to be dealt with
> the kernel developers for the rt2x00 module).
>
> Anyway, the problem is the following: I have an iBook G3 600MHz Late
> 2001 with 12" screen and an ATI Rage Mobility M3 card with 8MB of memory
> and I *just* installed sid on this machine.
>
> I was quite surprised to see a really bad effect on the screen that is
> the use of only an area of 800x600 (while the native resolution of this
> screen is 1024x768) and the rest of the screen is black at the right and
> a mirror image of whatever is on the top of this 800x600 area at the
> bottom of the screen.
>
> This has never happened to me, since the days of using BenH's kernel
> (that is, since about the 2.4 era).
>
> You can see for yourselves the weird problem (which also affects Ubuntu)
> at https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-video-ati/+bug/224343
>
> (There are two photos of the sad situation at the bottom of the bug
> report).
>
> Is there anybody else with a similar problem here?
>

> Thanks in advance, Rogério Brito.

Hi there,

Not sure if this will help but I am using a G4 powerbook using the same ati graphics chip. There is an ongoing issue with the r128 driver. With debian etch there isn't any problem. I tried installing lenny on this machine and I couldn't even get X to start.

I posted on this list and it looks like the driver broke things after version 6.6.3. Lenny uses 6.8 i think?

Anyways, you can probably try using the latest xorg but compiling version 6.6.3 of the r128 driver.

Good luck,
Amit