Re: a couple of small sound issues with mac mini

On Mon, 28 Apr 2008 12:56:19 -0500 (CDT)
chomiak7737@att.net wrote:

> For the most part, sound on my mac mini in debian unstable works well; i
> can even get sound out of the built-in speaker and plugged-in speakers at
> the same time (plugged into the headphone jack) which I couldn't do in
> Macosx. However, I have a couple of issues.
>
> 1. Pcspkr doesn't work. Is there any way to get this or is there just no
> speaker equivalent to the internal speaker on a pc? I wouldn't mind so
> much except that I'm blind and (1) it helps when backspacing to hear the
> beep when the whole line is erased, and (20 there's a sound one can hear
> through the speaker when gdm loads that I can't hear.
>
> 2. I can't seem to control my volume except by the pcm control; there
> seems to be no separate volume control. I can open
> alsamixer and arrow on the speakers but nothing happens; same on
> headphones. . I can mute and unmute fine but can only control volume
> with the one pcm control. this isn't a big problem, but i just want to
> make sure my setup is correct and that this is how it is supposed to
> work. The soundcard shown when I open alsamixer is SoundByLayout.

I am not sure if you have come across this debian wiki page before but it has notes on sound relating to mac mini.

From http://wiki.debian.org/PowerpcSoundcards:

Mac Mini

    * There is no mixer on this chipset, so all mixing and volume controls have to be done in software.
    * No Analog CD output, no analog inputs at all.
    * Moved to a new driver, snd-aoa.

Guess you might have to try out the 'snd-aoa' driver.