Re: USB speaker on iBook running Debian/Lenny

* Wolfgang Pfeiffer <roto@gmx.net> <
> [2008-02-21]:
>
>  --liOOAslEiF7prFVr
>
>  On Thu, Feb 21 2008, at 19:06 +0100, Ennio-Sr wrote:
>
> > Well ... this is a very good one: while perusing 'man mplayer' I
> > dicovered an option I'd never used; started to play with it and finally,
> > putting this line in /etc/mplayer/mplayer.conf:
> >
> > ao=alsa:noblock:device=hw=1.0
> >
> > I was able to ear sound coming out of my usb speaker!!!!! ;-)
> >

>  This 'hw=1.0' snippet above seems interesting: Do you have a
>  '/etc/asound.names' installed? I'm not sure if this file is still
>  necessary with today's snd_aoa* drivers, but I'd give it a try in case
>  things don't work as expected. Here's a bit more on it, search for
>  'asound.names' on that page:
>
>  http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Installing_Ubuntu_6.10_(Edgy_Eft)_on_a_ThinkPad_T60

OK, this teached me how to obtain my 'asound.names' but nothing changed.

in this file I see many 'alsactl#' and two of them seem to report my
usb-speaker:
  	alsactl11 {
  		name 'hw:1,0'
  		comment 'Physical Device - USB Audio (Playback)'
  	}
  	alsactl12 {
  		name 'plughw:1,0'
  		comment 'Physical Device With Conversions - USB Audio (DPlayback)'
  	}
but that's it. I donìt know what they mean and could not find any
suitable documentation.

>  I attach my own 'asound.names' file. I wouldn't recommend installing it,

Thanks for that, Wolfgang, but it doesn't help as it refers to
completely differnet stuff...

For the timebeing I'll fel happy to have my speaker work with mplayer;
then who knows ...

Thanks again for your help.
Reagrds.

--
[Perche' usare Win$ozz (dico io) se ..."anche uno sciocco sa farlo.    \\?//
 Fa' qualche cosa di cui non sei capace!"   (diceva Henry Miller) ]    (°|°)