Re: error: eth1: switching to forced 10bt

On Fri, Jan 11 2008, at 22:08 +0100, Peter O'Doherty wrote:
> Hi List,
>
> I've just installed debian for the first time on a Mac PowerPC and everytime
> I boot, the following error commands appear alternating every few seconds:
>
> eth1: switching to forced 10bt
> eth1: switching to forced 100bt

I'm not sure, whether this is actually an error message. It looks more
like an informational one to me ... (tho' I have to guess on the
meaning of 'bt' ..)

> I don't wish to set up a network at this stage and thought I selected that
> option during installation.

I'd try this:

sysv-rc-conf networking off

more on that:
http://wolfgangpfeiffer.com/foolinglinux.html#rc

But I'm not sure, because I just realized my networking routines, here
on Debian/unstable, seem to react weird:

# ifdown eth0
ifdown: interface eth0 not configured

But when running 'ifconfig', eth0 still is showing up ...

so you might want having a look to the scripts in /etc/init.b/ or in
/etc/rcX.d if the 'sysv-rc-conf' incantation does not help ...

HTH

Best Regards
Wolfgang

--
Wolfgang Pfeiffer: /ICQ: 286585973/ + + +  /AIM: crashinglinux/
http://heelsbroke.blogspot.com/

Key: 0xE3037113
http://keyserver.mine.nu/pks/lookup?search=0xE3037113&fingerprint=on