Booting powerbook G3 with Bootx or Quik
- To: email@example.com
- Subject: Booting powerbook G3 with Bootx or Quik
- From: "Paolo Perani" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2008 00:04:17 +0100
- Message-id: <[🔎] email@example.com>
- In-reply-to: <20080108230149.0420413A6AAB@liszt.debian.org>
- References: <20080108225208.7F73813A68FE@liszt.debian.org> <20080108225210.A807113A691E@liszt.debian.org> <firstname.lastname@example.org> <20080108230149.0420413A6AAB@liszt.debian.org>
Hi guys out there, I have a problem that is driving me crazy (well I am a newbie..).
I have installed the Debian 4.0 (I tried Netinstall and xfce) on my mac Powerbook g3 wallstreet. The installation is no-problema I install the minimal version of Debian because I only have 1,2G. I do the manual partition and format the root partition with first ext2 and in the second try with ext3.
I choose as the first try not to install Quik because, if I may quote from the manual:
“If you use BootX to boot into the installed system, just select your desired kernel in the Linux Kernels folder, un-choose the ramdisk option, and add a root device corresponding to your installation; e.g. /dev/hda8.”
Seems to be very easy but when I reboot Linux I got the error:
Cannot open device “hda8” or unknown-block (0,0)
Kernel panic not syncing VFS: unable to mount root fs or unknown block (0,0)
The second time I install Quik but in this case the computer remain silent, just a black screen.
Last try I use Quik for mac OS. But when I design hda8 as my root partition I got a message:
Bad root partition name /hda8
Maybe the hda8 root is not properly formatted and Debian installer cannot format it. If I use pdisk I got the result:
N type name
7 Apple_UNIX_SVR2 swap
8 Apple_bootstrap root
Is correct that my root partition is Apple_bootstrap? Should not be Apple_UNIX_SVR2
GMX FreeMail: 1 GB Postfach, 5 E-Mail-Adressen, 10 Free SMS.
Alle Infos und kostenlose Anmeldung: http://www.gmx.net/de/go/freemail