Re: [HS] Suggestions for a new hard drive ?

Hi, Charles.

On Aug 29 2007, Charles Plessy wrote:
> Le Tue, Aug 28, 2007 at 12:56:00PM -0300, Rogério Brito a écrit :
> > I'd say that your drive is dying.
>
> I think that I will give up tomorrow and order a new drive.

This is, unfortunately, one of the things that you may have to do with
the drive (after backing it up).

> Since this list is not mega-active, I dare asking the question: does
> anybody has a good HD to suggest for an old bi-G5 Mac ?

I don't know if the "mega-active" is meant by my responses or not. :-) I
didn't have a good health these days.

Anyway, which kind of drive does your G5 use? If it is a SATA drive
(which I suspect that it is), basically any drive should do.

I did the same with my iBook G3 600MHz (unfortunately, that's the
fastest PowerPC machine that I have at my disposal, even though I would
like to help get the PowerPC get better), installing a PATA (IDE) 120GB
drive (5400 RPM) in the place of the original 20GB drive (4200 RPM).
Besides being way more silent, I hope that some compilation tasks will
work faster.

> I do not need particularly big size or transfer rates...

Depending on where you are (I see that you sign your messages from
Japan), you may be able to get a Seagate drive with 750GB with a 5-year
warranty.

Here in Brazil, the longest warranty that I can get is 6 months. :-(

Regards, Rogério Brito.