Re: Can't boot Mac OSX after installing Etch

> I don't know what I did wrong.  According to some NetBSD documentation I
> had a look at, the broken folder icon means that Mac OSX cannot find a
> bootable partition.  mac-fdisk see the partitions in Debian, but parted
> does not see any.  Also I booted the OSX installer CD and accessed the
> disk utility, it also couldn't see any partitions.  Apparently PPC macs
> store partition maps on a seperate small partition at the beginning of
> the disk.  Obviously this must have been corrupted.  Is there any way to
> fix it?

mac-fdisk can see the partitions but the OS X CD cannot? Please try to
store a copy of the first few megs of the disk to a file for me to
analyze.

> I've just realised, I was messing about with the graphical PPC installer
> for Etch and it messed up on the partition screen several times so I
> used the text installer instead.  I wonder if this has anything to do
> with it.  I think I'm going to just reinstall both again and not mess
> about with the graphical installer for Etch this time.  I'll post the
> results shortly.

Before doing this - boot into the text installer, go to the text console,
mount the Linux root partition or perhaps a USB stick, and save the
current partition map with:

dd if=/dev/hda of=/usb/partbl.img bs=512 count=4096

(Substitute hda by sda if you have a SATA disk)

	Michael