Re: powerbook wakeup/boot display issue

On Wed, 2007-01-17 at 11:20 +0900, Joseph Sanger wrote:

> Forgive me if this has been covered before, there were some messages in
> the archive which I couldn't seem to open.
>
> I am new to Linux and have installed Debian Testing on a dual boot with
> OSX. I have a powerbook5,8 (one of the last ones, with the high-res screen).
>
> The powerbook sleeps fine I think, but probably about 50% of the time,
> on wake-up, the display freezes with a black screen and then slowly
> begins to "bleach" white and purple from the top. Obviously I shut down
> immediately as this looks dangerous.

FWIW, I haven't heard of this blooming damaging hardware. Still it's
probably a good idea not to leave it indefinitely. :)

There seems to be a race condition somewhere which sometimes causes this
when setting a video mode. I can usually get back the correct display by
forcing a mode set, e.g. by switching between console and X.