Re: Debian has failed us

On Jan 16, 2007, at 8:46 PM, Mathew Binkley wrote:

As I said earlier, there shouldn't be an arbitrary line between the installer and the packages. People aren't installing "Etch the installer" or "Etch the packages", they're installing "Etch the release". Test both parts simultaneously, as a single unit, because that's how your users are going to use them.

Mat has an important point here. Too often, I've seen: "I'm sorry about the bugs you've encountered post-install. It sounds like the install itself went fine. I'm closing this report." Usually, the person making the report doesn't have a clue about the fine points of which package team is responsible for the bug she has encountered. The person best able to make that determination is the person who fields the installation report. But it seems that person can't be bothered to pass the report along, and feels no responsibility to try.

Sad.

Rick