Re: Debian has failed us

Allow me to correct myself on some minor points.

On Thursday 11 January 2007 19:18, Frans Pop wrote:
> The daily build Etch images have been using this udeb for a bit more
> than a month.

It was even a bit longer: installer images have included the module since
about Nov 20.

> The delay in getting the module included in the installer
> has been completely on the side of the regular kernel package, and not
> the installer.

This is not totally accurate. The module was included first in the upload
of the regular kernel on Okt 21, so there was a delay of about a month on
the D-I side.
However, the installer could only switch to a 2.6.18 kernel for daily
builds after the release of D-I RC1, and uncertainty about the question
if we could or could not use the 2.6.18 kernel for that release was one
of the factors that took a while (though not overly long).

The choice not to enable the module in the 2.6.17 kernel (which would have
allowed us to support the hardware in RC1) but only in 2.6.18, was one
made by the PowerPC kernel maintainer.