Re: all ppc packages need rebuilding with gcc 4.1.1ds2-30

On Sat, 6 Jan 2007, Albert Cahalan wrote:

> On 1/6/07, Santiago Vila <sanvila@unex.es> wrote:
> > Since you ask: Rebuilding everything at once (via binary-only NMUs)
> > is a lot of work, and IMHO unlikely to happen, at least in the near future.
>
> This is terrible. Etch needs this.
>
> Well, how about at least rebuilding:
>
> a. libraries (very critical for popular things like glibc!)
> b. servers
> c. setuid/setgid apps and the things they run (print filters, etc.)
> d. network client apps like web browsers
> e. file converters and import filters
>
> BTW, this is holding back kernel changes. There are several
> workable ways to get no-execute on regular 32-bit PowerPC.

Etch is frozen. Do you realize what it means?

The gcc release fixing this build-depends on glibc 2.4 on the powerpc
architecture. Having glibc 2.4 in etch is not unlikely, it's impossible.

While we are at it, correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I've read
this .note.GNU-stack issue will not work if you link code with such
header with code without it, which means we have to rebuild everything
"constructively", i.e. glibc first, then the libraries that build-depends
only on it, and so on. This is the type of thing Debian usually does not
do when the distribution is frozen.

I don't want to disappoint you, but we have to be realistic.