Re: PowerMac 9500 + etch = no boot to hard drive

Dear James,

Ah, BootX.  This sounds creepily familiar.  My guess on where to start is asking
if the kernel the installer _used_ is the same as the one that got _installed_?
(this first bit me in Debian woody).  The kernel that BootX uses in
Macintosh HD:System Folder:Linux Kernels:
must be exactly the same as the one in your /boot directory.  So: did you copy
the newly installed kernel over to your MacOS drive?  i. e.

# mount -t hfs /dev/sdXN /mnt/ || mount -t hfsplus /dev/sdXN /mnt/
# cp /boot/vmlinux-2.6.18-4-powerpc /mnt/System\ Folder/Linux\ Kernels/
# cp /boot/System.map-2.6.18-4-powerpc /mnt/System\ Folder/Linux\ Kernels/
# umount /mnt
# shutdown -r now

Secondly, i seem to recall that Linux treats USB sticks as generic SCSI devices.
The order of the devices is not carved in stone as they are for IDE drives, so
taking the USB drive out after installation could mess things up a lot, namely
DURING INSTALL
    usb stick - /dev/sda
    OS 9 disk - /dev/sdb
    Linux     - /dev/sdc

AFTER INSTALL
    OS 9 disk - /dev/sda
    Linux     - /dev/sdb

so that /dev/sdc doesn't even exist anymore.

Anyways, hope that gives you some ideas on where to look next.

Peter