Re: no sound with alsa

On Wed, 05 Dec 2007 the mental interface of
Joe Corneli told:

[...]
> % cat /etc/modules
> # /etc/modules: kernel modules to load at boot time.
> #
> # This file contains the names of kernel modules that should be loaded
> # at boot time, one per line. Lines beginning with "#" are ignored.
>
> apm_emu
> loop
> sbp2
> therm_adt746x

This one looks okay ;)

> % cat /etc/modprobe.d/sound
> alias snd-card-0 snd-powermac
> options snd-powermac index=0

This one is produced from an old version og alsaconf. The kernel is
told to load snd-powermac by this file, but udev wants to load
snd_aoa_codec_tas. Move this file out of /etc/modprobe.d/, reboot
and check again please.

Send the output of lsmod | grep snd which sholuld look similar to:

snd_aoa_codec_tas      13216  2
snd_aoa_fabric_layout    12392  0
snd_aoa                17472  2 snd_aoa_codec_tas,snd_aoa_fabric_layout
snd_aoa_i2sbus         21540  1
snd_pcm_oss            47968  0
snd_mixer_oss          19008  1 snd_pcm_oss
snd_pcm                85508  2 snd_aoa_i2sbus,snd_pcm_oss
snd_timer              22564  1 snd_pcm
snd_page_alloc          9352  1 snd_pcm
snd                    62036  8 snd_aoa_codec_tas,snd_aoa_fabric_layout,snd_aoa,snd_aoa_i2sbus,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_pcm,snd_timer
soundcore               6948  1 snd
snd_aoa_soundbus        6148  2 snd_aoa_fabric_layout,snd_aoa_i2sbus

On Wed, 05 Dec 2007 the mental interface of
Joe Corneli told:

> A quick addendum:
>
> When I shut down the machine it says something like "alsactl store
> failed [...] no soundcards found".  So whatever settings it stores or
> retrieves are messed up.

This is why alsactl is looking for snd_powermac, which I guess is
not available, though.

Elimar

--
  It's a good thing we don't get all