How to speed up your Mac.

Hi there folks,

I've recently obtained a Apple iBook - I've always wanted a mac for its
RISC processor - and I confess, its way cool looks!

Anyway, now that I got one(albeit a bit old - nontheless) :

Apple iBook G3 500 MHZ
640 MB Ram

I was wondering how I can improve its performance.
I currently have Debian etch running on it, but I feel that its a bit slow
- certainly when it comes to KDE and other X window applications - This is
where I'd like to have it running quite well.

MacOSX seems to run well, though KDE doesn't (bit sluggish)- I am
considering changing to Gnome, hoping this will speed up my desktop
experiance, though I'm not sure.

Also I've been toying around with the notion of putting Gentoo on it - as
I've heard in one case exactly that   someone had done this and things are
noticibly faster - KDE etc ( though you have about 20h compile time!)

I mean i know its 500MHz, you aren't going to change that, granted. But I
suppose what I am looking for is how to run the machine more efficiantly.
Ie, you hdparm. Do something in the kernel. Stop loading this module that
checks so and so etc...

If you have any ideas that could help me speed this little baby mac up -
I'd love to hear them.

What do you think guys?

Kind regards,

Stu

PS: I really like to keep my current Debian, but if Gentoo will make it
fly, then well, Linux is Linux.