Re: no sound with alsa

Hi gents,

On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 the mental interface of
Joe Corneli told:

> Vincent: I would be interested to know if you ever resolved the issues
> you described at:
>
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-powerpc/2006/08/msg00038.html
>
> because I am having the same problem now!
>
> "Error: Cannot open device alsa09."

[...]

The mentioned alsa device is provided by libao2. Since version 0.8.7
there is no alsa09 device present. We have to use alsa vor the alsa
0.9/1 API now. If you have libao (0.8.8-3) installed, the entry in
/etc/libao.conf should be correct. If you have a ~/.libao you might
delete it or do a "echo default_driver=alsa" > ~/.libao.

On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 the mental interface of
Vincent Lefevre told:

> On 2007-11-29 01:25:39 -0600, Joe Corneli wrote:
> > Vincent: I would be interested to know if you ever resolved the issues
> > you described at:
> >
> > http://lists.debian.org/debian-powerpc/2006/08/msg00038.html
> >
> > because I am having the same problem now!
> >
> > "Error: Cannot open device alsa09."
>
> I was using OSS, and this is the alsaconf script that broke the
> sound system. See

The alsaconf script doesn't break sound. It is just unusable for ppc
cards right now. You can try /etc/init.d/udev restart && udevtrigger
instead. If you want to use OSS you have to run dpkg-reconfigure
linux-sound-base and choose oss. The driver should be loaded via
/etc/modules.

>   http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=381658
>
> There's also a bug in the Linux kernel:
>
>   http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=408746

If you have udev running and a kernel >= 2.6.18-rc? then udev should
load your snd_aoa flavour at G4 PB's. Note: do not mention any snd-*
module in /etc/modules and no user-snd-blacklists in
/etc/modprobe.d/. linux-sound-base has to be configured for alsa.

Elimar

--
  Planung:
  Ersatz des Zufalls durch den Irrtum.