no sound with alsa

Vincent: I would be interested to know if you ever resolved the issues
you described at:

http://lists.debian.org/debian-powerpc/2006/08/msg00038.html

because I am having the same problem now!

"Error: Cannot open device alsa09."

Looking around on the internet makes me think that the problem is that
I've installed some libraries or modules that are interfering with
ALSA in my mad dash to get sound working, without realizing that I
would be creating later problems.  ogg123 lists alsa09, oss, and nas
as "possible devices".  Thus, a solution to my problem may involve
removing packages as well as adding them (not sure what all needs to
be removed).

Thus, the most helpful answer would include necessary and sufficient
conditions for getting ALSA to work!