Re: Debian on a PowerBook 1400cs/133

On Sun, Nov 18, 2007 at 05:35:44PM +0100, Michelle Konzack wrote:
> Hello *,
>
> my vietnames neighbour has a PowerBook 1400cs/133 with broken MacOS
> (which was generaly only the Mac basic software).
>
> Now we have tried to install Debian from CD, but Etch does not boot.
>
> Can anyone help me?
>
> Note:  It does not detect the Binary-1 CD but it works in my iMac.
>
> Can it be, that Etch is some numbers to big for the PowerBook?

No, only macs with the "new-world" generation of open firmware (like
"BIOS" in the x86 world) are able to boot from Debian CD:s. (Apple have
proprietary stuff on their bootable CD:s) PowerBook 1400 has not
new-world firmware.

http://nubus-pmac.sourceforge.net/ links to a iso-image for installing
sarge, I would start there.

--
Hans Ekbrand (http://sociologi.cjb.net) <hans@sociologi.cjb.net>
Q. What is that strange attachment in this mail?