Re: OpenSSH Login Problems / CheckInstall .deb package?

Jack Malmostoso wrote:
On Sun, 21 Oct 2007 07:30:12 +0200, Jeffrey Rolland wrote:

The recommended solution is to
install openssh from source using this option.

So it's time to learn something new:

$ sudo apt-get install debuild
$ apt-get source openssh
$ cd openssh-X.X
$ joe/vi/emacs/nano/pico debian/rules

scroll to the part of the script with the options passed to ./configure. Add the options you need.

$ sudo apt-get build-dep openssh
$ debuild -us -uc -b

And you'll have .deb packages ready to install.
You might want to edit debian/changelog by adding a new entry with a new version name, so that it won't conflict with Debian's original packages. Be careful with the formatting, it's quite picky!

Since you're activating an option, you might need development packages to this library that are not in the standard set of libraries required by the original Debian package: you can edit debian/control and edit the build-depends section to include these packages.

The Debian documentation can help you a lot
Jack,

Thanks for this fantastic set of directions!

Sorry it took so long to get back to you, but I had a big presentation to give in seminar this week, and this is the first chance I've had to implement your suggestions.

Just two points:

1) For the other newbies playing the home game, the package you want to install in devscripts, not debuild; debuild is a part of devscripts.

2) I have the .deb package created. However, I'm still a newbie, so I need some advice.

I downloaded the xmame .deb packages (I tried using aptitude to install, but it claimed it couldn't read the non-free directory - I'll make another post about this in a different message) and installed them with dpkg, but they didn't work. I tried uninstalling them, but dpkg claims it needs "package names" not .deb files, to uninstall. I don't know the package names.

How do I find the package names for openssh if I need to uninstall it, tweak it, and reinstall from .deb, for instance? The actual .deb files created are openssh-client_4.3p2-9_powerpc.deb, openssh-client-udeb_4.3p2-9_powerpc.udeb, openssh-server_4.3p2-9_powerpc.deb,
and openssh-server-udeb_4.3p2-9_powerpc.udeb.

Thanks again for the awesome advice!

Sincerely,
--
Jeffrey Rolland
<jrolland@wiremail.org>

"The weed of crime bears bitter fruit; crime does NOT pay! The Shadow knows!"
 - _The Shadow_